Tuesday, 10 January 2023

 Wednesday 11th January 2023

On Saturday, Merle, Jan and a couple of friends went off to Cairns to see the film Avatar. I was planning to have a quiet day. Unfortunately the car they were travelling broke down in Mareeba, so I had to go and pick them up and drive down to Cairns. Whilst I was there I needed something to d, thought about visiting the crocodile centre, but it started to drizzle/light rain, so I made a snap decision ( sorry about the pun) and decided to do a bit of exploring. I visited a number of the coastal bays north of Cairns - seen the names for years but never visited. So, off I went to Trinity Beach, Kewarra Beach, Yorky's Knob ( no jokes please!) and Holloways Head. all really lovely little townships and beaches/harbours. Found a smashing cafe in Yorky's and had 6 large deep fried calamari rings and 3 deep fried potato scallops and a coffee. Brilliant. Then picked the girls up and headed back to the farm.



Lunch!!!






On Sunday 8th January we were supposed to have our Air Balloon flight ( cancelled previously). Well this one was also cancelled - the weather gain. Mybe next weekend!!

Monday 9th January, was Graham's birthday (son-in-law), so we had a bit of a bbq on the verandah in the evening. 

Yesterday, 10th Jan, we celebrated Merle's BIG birthday. Merle and I took ourselves off for the day visiting the Kuranda Village which is at the top of the Great Dividing Range which you have to cross to get to Mutchilba from Cairns. A very nice 'folksy village'. Before getting to the village we made a visit to the famous Barron Falls. These were quite spectacular, we have visited in previous years and there has been little or no water. This year - what a difference.












After lunch we took a gentle drive,ve back to Atherton and delivered some limes to an organic
shop, and did a bit of essential shopping  - cake and bubbly. Back on the farm we had a lovely meal of calamari, squid, salad etc plenty of bubbly and of course the cake to celebrate Merle's birthday. Also had a nice long video chat with daughter Sandy in the UK.



No comments:

Post a Comment

  Sunday 5th February 2023 So, we are now back home in the UK. We left Melbourne late afternoon on Thursday (OZ time) with Singapore Airline...